A few web user experience and design projects I’ve worked on:
Led a team doing hands-on scripted user testing of a new library discovery service provided by a vendor. As a result, we made changes to the front page description, simplified drop down menus, updated location information, reordered and updated facet names, and adjusted the custom tile area. Other design recommendations were forwarded on to the vendor for areas we could not change on our own.
Working within an established template and custom CMS, I conducted ongoing assessment to the structure and content of this site. Through examinations of analytics and departmental needs, I developed a detailed information architecture and content/writing guidelines for all web editors. As a result, the structure of the site has been unchanged for 6 years and has prevailed despite the site growing by 300% and updates to the basic design.
Performed hands on user testing and surveys to examine catalog use of several potential catalog interfaces. VuFind was adopted based on feedback and technical infrastructure. As a result of my user testing, numerous changes were adopted, including how information is displayed in individual catalog records, the item status colors, search types, and facet ordering and terminology.
As part of a two year grant-funded project to study the information seeking behaviors of Dow Chemical Corporation researchers, I created a new design template for the Technical Information Services department. Utilizing data gathered from remote hands-on user testing, transaction log analysis, and surveys, I created wire frames, content guidelines, and a site structure that were then recreated within Dow’s internal CMS and template structure.
served as part of a nationwide distributed team examining UX issues within HathiTrust. We developed personas based on transaction log analysis, analytics, and demographics of individuals submitting questions. Our expertise has led to design changes to the main website, library catalog, page viewer, and collection builder.
PHP/MySQL database to put information from a paper Rolodex into an online and editable format. I made numerous adjustments to this simple application over the years, based on transaction logs and user feedback, while working to blend the site into the overall library design template. Adding and editing entries lies behind Siteminder authentication.